- County Legislature
- Standing Committees
- Public Safety & Corrections Committee
Public Safety & Corrections Committee
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes
- John V. Malter, Chair
- Jeffrey P. Horton, Vice Chair
- K. Michael Hanna
- Wendy Lozo
- Frederick G. Potter
To consist of five members with responsibility for:
Oversight, representation, and as appropriate, to make recommendations to the County Legislature, with regards to all matters pertaining to the activities, programs, duties, responsibilities, personnel, expenses of offices, purchase of equipment, maintenance of records and accounts, or other matters relating to the offices, departments, agencies or programs listed below, including those specifically identified as follows:
- Civil Defense: Including all matters relating to civil defense, catastrophe, natural disaster and other emergencies under the direction of the Governor or the State Director of Civil Defense, including the powers and duties of the local County Office of Civil Defense, and all matters pertaining to the powers and duties of the Energy Coordinator for coordination of gas and fuel supplies and their allocation within Steuben County.
- Fire Training and Mutual Aid: Including all matters relating to the Steuben County Fire Advisory Council, fire training schools, mutual fire aid plans and programs, public emergencies involving firemen, and the Fire Coordinator's office.
- Judges, District Attorney and Public Defender: Including all matters relating to the powers, duties and responsibilities or offices of the County Judges, Family Court Judge, Surrogate Judge, District Attorney, and Public Defender.
- Probation: Including all matters relating to the powers, duties and offices of any and all Probation Officers, and their appointment or removal by a County Judge.
- Sheriff: Including all matters relating to the Sheriff, Undersheriff, Jail Superintendent, Deputies, Correction Officers, Court Attendants, and all other personnel; matters concerning the Jail, maintenance of prisoners; post audit of court orders, paying jurors, witnesses, and Court Attendants as soon after each term of County Court, Supreme Court or Surrogate's Court with a jury, as is practical.
Representation, oversight and/or recommendations to the County Legislature on matters relating to the following Offices, Boards, Commissions, agencies, individuals or Committees:
- Justices and Constables
- Traffic Safety Board
- STOP-DWI Advisory Committee
- Emergency Communications Center Committee
- Fire Advisory Board
- Southern Tier Emergency Medical Services Council (Empire Nine)
- Chemung River Basin Flood Warning Support Corporation