Getting Answers

Benefits Counseling

Having trouble paying medical bills? Confused about medical coverage? What is SSI and how do I apply for it? Need help with food bills? Will I lose my house if I apply for Medicaid? Call us for expert answers and caring advice.

NY Connects WebsiteFinding Care

There are various settings where those who are unable to live independently can live and receive 24 hour assistance to maximize health, safety, and well-being. For a complete listing that includes all levels of care, call toll free 800-342-9871.

Health Insurance and Prescriptions

Assistance is available to help you understand Medicare, EPIC, prescription assistance programs, Medicaid and other aspects of your medical coverage. For help with medical bills and making an informed decision about the type and amount of coverage needed, contact us for an appointment.

Housing for Older AdultsHousing

Check out an interactive web map of Housing for Older Adults options available within Steuben County.

  • Senior Housing: Senior Housing is available throughout Steuben County including subsidized apartments, Long Term Care facilities, Private Proprietary and Family Type homes depending of the age, income, preferences and care needs of the individual.
  • Rental Assistance: Please direct inquiries for private apartment rental subsidies to Arbor Housing and Development at 607-654-7487. Short term rental assistance might be available through the Steuben County Department of Social Services.
  • Home Repair: Programs offering grants and low interest loans are available through various agencies to assist with home repairs, weatherization and home modifications. Income and resource restrictions apply. Please call the Office for the Aging (OFA) at 607-664-2298 for current information.

Legal Services

Legal advice, representation, or referral is available without charge through the Office for the Aging's contracted attorney pertaining, but not limited to:

  • Consumer Complaints
  • Hospital Patient Rights
  • Landlord/Tenant Relations
  • Medicare and Medicaid
  • Other Entitlements and Benefits
  • Power of Attorney
  • Social Security/SSI

Legal services are not available to cover criminal cases, divorce, negligence actions, or other cases for which a private attorney may be obtained on a contingency basis.

Ombudsman Program

Staff and trained volunteers receive, investigate, and resolve concerns of, or on behalf of the residents of long-term-care facilities. Ombudsmen from AIM (Access to Independence and Mobility) visit these facilities regularly to: 

  • Monitor the quality of care
  • Assist residents in understanding and exercising their rights
  • Assure care with dignity and respect
  • Encourage residents to express their opinions

To discuss your concerns through this program, call AIM at 607-962-8225, ext. 112.

Sharing Your Wishes

Resources for making end-of-life decisions are available through our office. Please call the Caregiver Resource Center for information.

Tax Assistance

Assistance is available to complete federal or state income tax forms February - mid April through the CASH program. To schedule an appointment, please call 211, which is our regional Helpline. For year-round information regarding property tax credits and reductions, please call the Office for the Aging or your local assessor.


Door-to-door non-emergency medical transportation is available through a contract with Steuben Coordinated Transportation, a program of the Institute for Human Services. Please call Steuben Coordinated Transportation at 800-346-2211 at least 48 hours in advance of your medical appointment to schedule the ride. For more information go to the Institute for Human Services website.

Utility Expenses

Assistance is provided to income eligible persons in applying for HEAP, the Home Energy Assistance Program, for payment of heating bills. Assistance is based on monthly gross income, the number of persons living in the household, and the heating situation. Staff from OFA is also available to screen and refer eligible older persons whose homes are in need of winterizing and other energy conservation services. In addition staff will assist in identifying other resources to meet a client's needs including utility fuel funds, charitable organizations, state and federal loan and grant programs, etc.