The agricultural industry is a vital driver of Steuben County's economy and defines its rural landscape and character. With the most farming acreage of any New York State county and ranking as one of the most profitable in farm sales, Steuben County is in a position to continue to shape a positive and vibrant agricultural economy while protecting its existing farms and welcoming the next generation of farmers.
Steuben County Agricultural & Farmland Protection Plan
Encouraging further development of agriculture and farmland as part of the New York State (NYS) Legislature's constitutional mandate to provide for the protection of agricultural lands.
Right-To-Farm Law of Steuben County
A Local Law establishing the right to lawfully engage in agricultural practices within Steuben County. Read the Right-to Farm Law (PDF).
Agricultural Districts Information
- Agricultural Districts FAQ (PDF)
- Agricultural District 303b Addition Request Form (PDF)
- Interactive (GIS) Agricultural Districts Map
- Review Schedule for Steuben County Agricultural Districts (PDF)
- New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets
- Cornell Cooperative Extension: Local Farm Products Guide (PDF)
- American Farmland Trust: Protecting farmland, promoting sound farming practices, and keeping farmers on the land.
- 2012 Census of Agriculture: Taken every 5 years, the Agriculture Census looks at land use and ownership, operator characteristics, production practices, income and expenditures.