Apply for your passport at the Steuben County Clerk's Office and the agency fee will stay in the county!

The County Clerk's Office is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 5 pm (excluding holidays).

What You Will Need

Age 16 Years and Over

Certified birth certificate or previous adult passport

*A certified birth certificate has a registrar's raised, embossed, impressed, or multicolored seal, registrar's signature, and the date the certificate was filed with the registrar's office, which must be within 1 year of your birth. Please note, that some short (abstract) versions of birth certificates may not be acceptable for passport purposes. Birth Certificates must have both Parents' full names.

If you do not have a certified birth certificate you can purchase a certified copy by contacting the registrar of the municipality where you were born.

Personal Identification

One of the following:

  • Previously issued, undamaged U.S. passport
  • Naturalization Certificate
  • Valid Driver's License
  • Current Government ID (city, state or federal)
  • Current Military ID (military and dependents)

Bring a photocopy of the front and back of each ID document that you will present when you apply.

  • Photocopy must be on plain white, 8 1/2 x 11 inches standard paper stock, showing the front and the back of your ID
  • Photocopy must contain images on only one side of each page submitted.
  • If copies cannot be made on the same side of one page, you may present two separate pages; one displaying the front of the ID and the second displaying the back of the ID.

Two passport photos

We will be taking passport photos for a fee of $10 at the clinic.

Under 16 Years of Age

In addition to the previous requirements:

Both parents must provide consent authorizing passport issuance for a minor under age 16. See the scenarios below, and follow the instruction that best applies to your circumstance:

Both Parents must:

  • Appear in person with the minor
  • Sign Form DS-11 (PDF) in front of an Acceptance Agent

One Parent must:

  • Appear in person with the minor
  • Sign Form DS-11 (PDF) in front of an Acceptance Agent
  • Submit the second parents' notarized Statement of Consent (Form DS-3053)

One Parent (with sole legal custody) must:

  • Appear in person with the minor
  • Sign Form DS-11 (PDF) in front of an Acceptance Agent
  • Submit primary evidence of sole authority to apply for the child with one of the following:
    • Minor's certified U.S. or foreign birth certificate listing only the applying parent
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) or Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350) listing only the applying parent
    • Court order granting sole custody to the applying parent (unless child's travel is restricted by that order)
    • Adoption decree (if applying parents is sole adopting parent)
    • Court order specifically permitting applying parent's or guardian's travel with the child
    • Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent
    • Death certificate of non-applying parent

Note: If none of the above documentation is available, the applying parent must submit Form DS-3053 stating why the non-applying parent/guardian's consent cannot be obtained

A Third Party (in Loco Parentis applying on behalf of a minor under the age of 16) must:

  • Submit a notarized written statement or affidavit from both parents or guardians authorizing a third party to apply for a passport
  • When the statement of affidavit is from only one parent/guardian, the third party must present evidence of sole custody of the authorizing parent/guardian.